Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: A Best Practices Guide for Recruitment, Hiring and Retention
- Organizational allocation and planning: Evaluate performance on how well senior leadership implement diversity and inclusion principles and practices in their work;review current policies, practices, and procedures through an equity, diversity, and inclusion lens; etc.
- Job postings: Ensure that a diversity and inclusion expert reviews and approves the job posting before its posted; post only the qualifications and skills necessary for the job; etc.
- Search for candidates: Accept a full CV, ensuring that career interruptions due to parental leave, family care, extended illness, or community responsibilities do not negatively impact the assessment of a candidate’s productivity; mandate proactive targeted outreach to attract members of underrepresented groups; etc.
- Hiring committee: Ensure a diverse search committee is considered in all aspects of their work; provide mandatory training for all committee members; etc.
- Interview: Rank selection criteria prior to screening applications to ensure an unbiased, consistent, and transparent selection process; ensure the same assessment process is applied to all candidates; etc.
- Hiring decisions: Provide a written report to senior management on the selection process and the rationale when a member of the targeted group is unsuccessful; avoid using a candidate’s “fit” as a means to discriminate or indulge personal biases; etc.
- Retention and promotion: Collect self-identification data at all organizational levels and monitor and analyze this data for potential systemic barriers to advancement; conduct an environmental scan about the organization’s culture and how well it is doing in its equity, diversity, and inclusion work; etc.
To read more about the recommendations, click here.