A Guide to Progressive Gender Portrayals in Advertising - The Case for Unstereotyping Ads
The World Federation of Advertisers
This guide emphasizes the need for the advertising industry to move away from gender stereotypes in advertising and provides advice and recommendations on how to do so.
Some of the recommendations include:
- Encourage diversity in your teams: Does my internal team and partner team at my agencies reﬂect my target audience?
- Track performance: What is the representation of women versus men in our ads? Are we testing our ads with an equal number of men and women, etc.?
- Find your purpose: What does my brand stand for that beneﬁts both men and women?
- Think longterm: Where do we want to be in the next three years on gender diversity and proper representation? Campaigners and consumers want to see real commitment that goes beyond a single message or a particular day.
- Go beyond marketing: How can I promote more positive, diverse portrayals of men and women internally and among suppliers?
To learn more, click here.