Creating a Breastfeeding Friendly Workplace
Ontario Public Health Association
This guide aims to assist employers when designing workplaces with accessible, well-equipped spaces for employees to breastfeed. This guide can also be used by employees who are attempting to establish lactation rooms or breastfeeding-friendly spaces at their workplace. It contains physical components that need to be in place for employees to breastfeed on-site, as well as cultural components that can help establish a company culture that respects breastfeeding and new mothers.
Essential components of a breastfeeding-friendly workplace:
- Comfortable chair with supportive arms
- Small table, chair and electrical outlet
- Appropriatesignage (e.g. “ROOM IN USE”) to enhance privacy
- Baby changing station or table with a means to hygienically clean area
- Proximity tohand-washing facilities
Essential components that support breastfeeding in workplace culture:
- Flexible time schedule to accommodate breastfeeding/pumping
- Providing information to all employees
- Ensuring that managers and employees are supportive of breastfeeding and working
- Encouraging a network of women who can support each other when working and breastfeeding
- No age limit regarding the breastfeeding child
To learn more, click here.