Leveraging Workplace Flexibility for Engagement and Productivity
Recommendations to successfully implement workplace flexibility:
- Assess the effects of flexibility: Consider the impact of new arrangements on employees, teams, clients, managers, and all relevant stakeholders.
- Understand compatibility: Evaluate job requirements to determine which jobs are better suited for what types of flexibility.
- Set clear performance goals: Manager and employee collaboration is needed to establish concrete and measurable objectives.
- Communicate: Constant communication between managers, employees, and co-workers helps navigate changes and keep others in the loop.
- Obtain feedback: Input from employees, clients, managers, and other relevant stakeholders ensures flexible work meets all parties’ needs and objectives.
Some challenges of workplace flexibility included in this resource are:
- Challenge: Manager’s uncertainty about workplace flexibility results in their unit denying requests or in negative perceptions of employees on flexible work arrangements.
Recommendations: Provide managers with training, allow them to express concerns and collaborate on solutions, pilot workplace flexibility measuring results and sharing.
- Challenge: Manager’s assumption that someone on flexible work arrangement would not be interested in a different job opportunity or promotion that did not have flexibility, leaving them out for future considerations of new opportunities.
- Recommendations: Reinforce the importance of managing performance based on results, not face time, mandate considering flexible work arrangements for promotions as part of manager training.
To learn more, click here.