Making it Work! How to Effectively Manage Maternity Leave Career Transitions: An Employer's Guide
Canadian Education and Research Institute for Counselling
This guide is a comprehensive manual to help employers tailor specific strategies to the needs of their organization and employees as a result of pregnancy, birth, or adoption.
Some recommendations found are:
- Before maternity leave:
- Conduct exit interviews with employees before they leave to discuss questions and possible concerns, as well as expectations from both sides
- Establish a communication plan to determine how often communication will take place during maternity leave
- During maternity leave:
- Provide women with optional opportunities to participate in team events, meetings, training seminars, etc.
- Organize “Comeback Coaching” to support the transition before returning to work and reinforce organization’s support on women
- After maternity leave:
- Conduct return to work interviews to assess possible challenges, re-engage in the career dialogue, and determine further support required
- Encourage mentorship and sponsorship opportunities (different from “buddy system) to support women’s career development and progression opportunities
To learn more, click here.