OHS Answers Fact Sheets – Violence in the Workplace
What can I do to prevent violence in my workplace?
According to CCOHS, the most important component of any workplace violence prevention program is management commitment communicated through a written policy. The policy should:
- Be developed by management and employees’ representatives, and apply to management, employees, clients, independent contractors, and anyone who has a relationship with your organization.
- Define what workplace violence means in concrete language and provide clear examples of unacceptable behaviour and working conditions.
- State in clear terms the organization’s commitment towards workplace violence and the consequences of violent acts.
- Outline confidential processes to report incidents, encourage reporting, and ensure no reprisals.
- Establish procedures to investigate and resolve complaints and commit to support victims.
- Commit to fulfill violence prevention training to all personnel.
To access this full resource, click here.