The Diversity and Inclusion Revolution: Eight Powerful Truths
This article was developed to help business leaders close the gap between aspiration and reality in terms of achieving a diverse and inclusive workplace culture.
Deloitte presents eight truths that can help to inspire leaders to create inclusive workplaces:
- Diversity of thinking is the new frontier: Leverage cognitive diversity, which refers to the different ways that people solve problems to improve creativity, innovation, and implementation of decisions.
- Diversity without inclusion is not enough: Emphasize inclusion in the workplace by treating employees with fairness and respect and ensuring they feel valued and have a sense of belonging.
- Inclusive leaders cast a long shadow: Boost team performance, improve decision-making quality, and enhance team collaboration with empowering and inclusive leadership.
- Middle managers matter: Encourage senior leaders to engage and influence middle managers by approaching them as individuals who are supported and valued in the organization.
- Rewire the system to rewire behaviours: Use D&I data to identify specific issues in the talent cycle, introduce positive behavioural nudges, and evaluate the effectiveness of changes made.
- Tangible goals make ambitions real: Strengthen communication and accountability from leadership and offer broader acts of recognition or reward to turn goals into action.
- Match the inside and the outside: Prioritize customer diversity to ensure that the business acknowledges and supports the diversity among its customers.
- Perform a culture reset, not the tick-the-box program: Shift away from “compliance” and “programmatic” approaches towards “leader-led” and “integrated” approaches, which are more comprehensive, address systemic cultural barriers, and leverage diversity.
To achieve the eight truths, Deloitte proposes the following seven actions for leaders:
- Recognize that progress will take a culture reset
- Create shared purpose and meaning by broadening the narrative to diversity of thinking and inclusion
- Build inclusive leadership capabilities
- Take middle managers on the journey
- Nudge behaviour change by rewiring processes and practices
- Strengthen accountability, recognition, and rewards
- Pay attention to diverse employees and customers
To learn more, click here.