Gender Portrayal Guidelines
- Authority: Advertising should strive to provide an equal representation of women and men in roles of authority.
- Decisionmaking: Women and men should be portrayed equally as single decisionmakers for all purchases, including big-ticket items.
- Sexuality: Advertising should avoid the inappropriate use or exploitation of sexuality of both women and men.
- Violence: Neither sex should be portrayed as exerting domination over the other by means of overt or implied threats, or actual force.
- Diversity: Advertising should portray both women and men in the full spectrum of diversity and as equally competent in a wide range of activities both inside and outside the home.
- Language: Advertising should avoid language that misrepresents, offends, or excludes women or men.
To read the full guide, click here.